Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Click-to-sort "view" in one column

In this SNTT, I try to demonstrate some of the power of @Sort and Evaluate.

The demo I've made transforms a column containing pipe-separated values to a HTML table with click-to sort (Ascending/Descending) column headers, using a form with a WebQueryOpen-agent.

>> Flash demo

In the flash-demo, performance may seem a little low. The demo is running locally. I tested the form+agent in another application on a Domino-server, to see if it was as general as I wanted, and there, performance was a lot better. It took me about a minute or two to make a click-to-sort view in the other application, which I'm quite happy about.

Domino has click-to-sort columns in views, but I've never tested it on the web. The strength of this way of doing it is that you have the power over the HTML.

There are 20k+ documents in the demo-application, but the agent that generates the click-to-sort tables can only handle 100-1000 rows of data. I couldn't find a corrolation between the amount of data, and max number of rows. I tested a two-column table and a four column table, and I got more rows out of the four column one.

At the top of the MakeSortableTable-agent, there is a parameter (maxrows) that controls the max amount of rows to show in the view.

--

>> Demo Application

If you want to add this functionality to an application of yours, simply copy the form and agent in the demo into your application, make the "lookupview", in the same way I made my People-view. Column title should contain the table header titles (separated by "|") for the columns, column value should contain the column values for the table (also separated by "|")

Column1 in the People-view


Column2

0 comments: