Sunday, January 18, 2009

New LS/Java Editor coming in Notes/Domino 8.5.1

Writing my previous post, I missed the session I had planned on going to, "Getting to know XPages and the new Domino designer" (it was full by the time I arrived), I instead went to a session named "Introducing IBM Lotus Domino Designer 8.5 Now with Eclipse!".

There, they showcased the new editors for Java and LS. The LS editor looks promising, but the Java editor looked a little bit clunky usability-wise. The reason the new Java editor didn't appear in the current Notes release, 8.5 apparently has something to do with how Java code is stored in the NSF. IBM seems to have found a way around this, and in N/D 8.5.1, we will have the Eclipse Java editor for Domino Java code.. Good news! :)

They also skimmed the surface on what you can do with XPages. It seems like a quantum leap in flexibility above what you can do with the "old" Domino applications. Hopefully I'll make it in time for the next XPages sessions.

I didn't get the planned release date for 8.5.1. Not sure if they mentioned it/know when it will be ready.

Now I'm going to the a session about Cloud Computing with Bob Balaban. Could be interesting.

0 comments: