Friday, October 10, 2008

Domino Developer Plugin for Aptana Studio

In my previous post, I mentioned that I'd like to see Aptana in DDE. Well.. It seems that we're not far away. Nick commented that there is a project named Domino Developer Plugin for Aptana Studio. Aptana is quantum leaps better the integrated JS-editor in Domino. You get code complete for Js, DOM and JS-frameworks, etc.

I've only tested it for fifteen minutes or so, but so far it seems excellent. One of my applications is more or less pure JS/CSS. Not having to deal with Domino Designer (Open/Refresh) is excellent. When you save, the change goes directly to the NSF.

I had a little trouble with it at first. I added the Notes path to the PATH environment variable. But I got an error message whatever I did.

I restarted the computer, and now it works fine. If you get this error message, "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no nlsxbe in java.library.path" after setting PATH, then you probably need to restart your computer.

Highly recommended!
(Unless there are some horrid bugs I'm not aware of)

Update: It seems Jeff Gilfelt, the author of the "Domino Developer Plugin for Aptana Studio" might be getting some competition from an IBM employee, Niklas Hedloff. He's working on a plugin that goes one step further than Jeff's. It allows you to import Javascript frameworks to NSF's directly from within Aptana, using drag'n drop. Read more about it in his article, "Lotus Notes plugin for Aptana Studio".

The future for Domino web developers looks promising, even if your company isn't of the first to adopt Notes/Domino 8.5 and XPages. :)

Update 2: I've found one re-creatable bug in the current version. When saving a file-resource, the last character is cut. I've reported the error to Jeff. Hopefully he can get a fix out in the nearest future.

0 comments: