Monday, March 9, 2009

Domino 8.5 generates labels for checkboxes and radio buttons

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I'll mention it.

Domino 8.5 seems to automatically wrap checkboxes and radio buttons with labels without having to modify any settings.

Pre 8.5 radio button:
<input name="some-radio" type="radio" value="some value">

8.5 radio button
<label><input name="some-radio" type="radio" value="some value"></label>

In IE6, this doesn't make much difference, but in IE7 and beyond, and most other browsers, this lets the user click the label (the text), and the radiobutton/checkbox is selected. More about labels and accessibility here.

2 comments:

Mike McGarel said...

I posted something related to this a couple of weeks ago (Link), including the workaround I found in the Notes 8.5 forum.

Tommy Valand said...

Thanks for letting me know. There are so many blogs at the moment that it's hard to keep track of them all.

In my applications, the auto-adding of the labels is a good thing. :)