Friday, July 3, 2009

Accessible Web Forms With Domino - Addendum

I'm finally trying out what Jake probably have done for close to four years. Getting rid of "Use JavaScript when generating pages".

My addendum, is the choice of the submit element. In his article he chose <input type="submit" />. The downside with this is that the value attribute is used as a label for the button. I'm going to use <button type="submit">, which frees me to put whatever I want as a label. It makes it a lot easier to make internationalized button, as it lets you separate data from design.

E.g. (brackets indicates field)
<button type="submit" name="action" value="save">[cfd_save_label]</button>
<button type="submit" name="action" value="archive">[cfd_archive_label]</button>
<button type="submit" name="action" value="delete">[cfd_delete_label]</button>

He's probably using this already, but since I couldn't find a mention of it on his site, I thought I should share it with you.

If you're having trouble designing buttons across browsers, check out this guide.

0 comments: